Also known as Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT)
Microneedling is a minimally invasive skin treatment which is performed using sterile, ultra fine needles in order to cause careful, micro injury to the skin. By doing so, the body’s natural healing processes are activated to repair the micro damage and new collagen production is stimulated.
This innovative treatment works in 2 ways. First, because the treatment creates thousands of micro channels in the skin, topical serums will absorb up to 80% more compared to untreated skin. A hyaluronic acid serum is used during the treatment which will create a hydrated, glowing result immediately. Second, the microneedles disrupt the collagen fibers which stimulates new collagen to form and strengthens the new collagen fiber and connective tissue. It turn, the result is firmer more even looking skin.
What Are The Benefits?
Microneedling is an effective and natural treatment that uses your own bodies healing processes to improve a variety of skin concerns like:
- hyperpigmentation (dark spots due to sun damage)
- Increases the density of the epidermis, which lessens the appearance of vessels and redness
- acne scarring
- wrinkles and fine lines
- enlarged pores
- increases collagen which supports the connective tissue and creates firmer skin
- hair loss
- stretch marks
What Is The Treatment Link?
Treatment duration: 2 – 2.5 hours
- cleansing + hot towel
- topical anesthetic
- microneedling treatment with hyaluronic acid infusion
- soothing mask + LED light therapy
- aftercare provided
Comfort level: painless to moderate
- topical anesthetic is used to provide a very comfortable experience for the client
Down time: little to none
- redness and swelling will be present immediately after the treatment; very similar to the look and feel of a sunburn
- redness typically resolves within 24-72 hours
- some peeling and flaking may occur within the first week
Results: Immediate and ongoing
- the skin looks hydrated and glowing from the infusion of hyaluronic acid used during the needling treatment
- after any redness and flaking is healed, the skin looks fresh and rejuvenated
- results will continue to appear as the collagen induction process continues at the cellular level for the 4-8 weeks
Lasts: Results are cumulative
- strict adherence to daily spf use is necessary to maintain results
Frequency: 4-6 week intervals
- Typically a minimum of 3 – 6 treatments will be recommended and depending on the desired results, ongoing 6 week treatments may be required. Once desired results have been achieved, frequency may be decreased to several times a year to maintain results.
How To Prepare For Your Appointment
- Schedule any other cosmetic procedures like Botox, filler and peels at least 2 weeks prior to your microneedling appointment.
- Discontinue use of any retinoids or exfoliating acids 1 week prior to your treatment.
What To Expect After Your Appointment
The skin will appear slightly pink to red immediately post-procedure, similar to a mild to moderate sunburn. Additionally, the most common side effects felt in the treatment area include:
- Rough skin
These conditions resolve over time without any further complications.
- Peeling and flaking are normal and indicate cellular turnover which is a sign of the treatment taking effect!
- Swelling, bruising and prolonged redness are less common but still normal responses to Microneedling. Everyone heals differently so it is important to be patient with the process.
- Although results begin to show immediately, you will also continue to see improvements over the coming weeks as the collagen production happens on a cellular level. It is recommended to adhere to a skincare routine which supports the health and appearance of your skin by keeping it well hydrated and balanced. Daily use of sunscreen with an SPF 30 or higher is necessary to protect your skin from harmful UV rays and to maintain your results.
- Microneedling can be performed every 4 to 6 weeks. Doing so wakes up dormant fibroblast cells and rebuilds the skin’s foundation. Once prolonged results are achieved, treatments may decrease to a few times a year.
When Will I Notice Results
These results are driven by the body’s wound-healing mechanisms, so your results are cummulative. As your skin initially heals and the redness passes, you’ll notice an immediate “glow,” from the Hyaluronic Acid infusion but microneedling is really a progression of results. This is because your collagen and elastin production ramps up and continues. Visible changes with the skin develop over the course of several days and weeks. Your results can continue to improve for up to six months.
Am I A Candidate?
Probably yes! Microneedling is a safe and effective treatment for almost all skin types and tones. For any specific concerns, please contact me directly so I can help you decide if this treatment is right for you.